Quick Exit

Advocacy for children

nyas logo

Advocacy helps children to get their voice heard. Advocates can help them to understand their rights, make informed decisions about their life and support them to speak up about things that matter to them.

You can find information on local advocacy support for children by visiting the National Youth Advocacy Service (NYAS) website or calling the free helpline on 0808 808 1001 

As a professional you can get advice, further information or make a referral from the NYAS website - Supporting Child Protection Professionals | NYAS 

Parent Advocacy – Speak up

Warrington Speak Up logo

Advocacy is available from Warrington Speak Up for parents with learning difficulties, learning disabilities, autism and mental health issues, who are going through a child protection process or and family court proceedings.

Advocacy can support parents to both understand expectations and be meaningfully involved in the legal processes, and to ensure their rights are upheld.

A referral can be made when a child is being made subject to child protection or care proceedings have been initiated.

An advocate will help parents to:

  • Understand information being shared by a range of professionals involved in the child protection and family court process
  • Meaningfully participate within meetings
  • Understand and secure their rights within the process
  • Make informed choices
  • Have their voice heard by supporting them to express their views and wishes
  • Access legal representation when necessary
  • Advocate for themselves

How do I get a Parent Advocate?

Referrals can be made by both parents and professionals, with consent of the parent.

For further information access the Speak Up website